Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Port - Melbourne

Finished Double Fault, interesting but heavy hitting, to use a tennis pun, the main character very selfish, she was almost a caricature as it seemed to be the sole driver of her personality, the selfishness. Did a bit of a search for reviews and found that Shriver has written a lot of novels on a diverse range of subjects. I think Shriver will go down in history for the Kevin novel, my copy of which I have incidentally since loaned to 2 people, one of whom is called Kevin.
Now reading Careless, the Kibble Award winner from 2007 or 2006, can't remember which year. It's fantastic, I'm about half-way through. I postponed reading it for ages because I hate large format paperbacks, how shallow am I. The characters are all separately set up in their worlds and then gradually they all start intersecting and it's all one world. Again some very selfish characters especially the sculptor who reminded me a bit of the artist in Patrick White's The Vivisector. He just sucks people dry then spits them out.

No comments: